Sunday, May 5, 2013

His & Hers - Birthday

I actually spent quite a bit of time in my craft room today.  That was only possible because we got most of the house based chores done yesterday, there was no soccer game for my oldest son and my husband  ran in a half marathon this morning.

My time started with some clean-up since I haven't been very good about cleaning up when I've finished crafting.  Mostly that's due to running out of time!

While my intention today was to try and complete days 2 through 5 of the His & Hers On Line Card Class, that didn't quite happen.  I had a hard time finding my mojo as far as day 2's techniques were concerned.

Day 2's theme was birthday cards.  I managed to complete His & Hers cards for two of the three techniques presented.  I did Jennifer McGuire's kaleidoscope technique and Cristina Kowalczyk's colored velum technique.

Here is the HER card for the first technique:

The card base and the focal layer are both Neenah Solar White card stock.  The colored layer is Stampin Up Pool Party.  The colored inks used are: Poppy Parade, Daffodil Delight, Wild Wasabi, Pool Party, Marina Mist, and Wisteria Wonder.  The stamps are all from the Papertrey Ink.  The flower petals are made using Sending You and the sentiment is from Stylish Sentiments: Birthday and was embossed with black embossing powder on a strip of velum.  The technique sample that was presented had the colors progress in a counter-clockwise manner.  Being an engineer, and probably some what OCD, I had to switch this so that it goes clockwise! :)
For the HIS card I stamped on Crumb Cake card stock and the colored layer is Gumball Green.  The stamps for the kaleidoscope element were Papertrey Ink's Happy Harlequin Mini Stamp Set.  The sentiment is the same as that used on the HER card!  The Happy Birthday was stamped in black ink on 3/8" wide twill ribbon.  The inks used are Frost White craft ink, Memento's Bamboo Leaves, and Cloud Grey, Night of Navy and Not Quite Navy.
 Here's the His & Hers cards side-by-side!

The second technique involved coloring velum with copic markers.  Coloring on the velum makes the colors semi-transparent and so soft.  I really liked the effect.
 For the second technique HER card the yellow layer is Daffodil Delight.  The copics used are RV13, Y08, YG03 and V04.  The sentiment is from the same Papertrey Ink Stylish Sentiments set.  The butterfly was punched using a Martha Stewart punch and was colored with the pink copic marker.  The butterfly's body were accented with rhinestones.
For the corresponding HIS card the colored layer is Night of Navy and the copic colors are BG49, B18, and Y04.  I didn't have any white embossing powder, so I stamped the sentiment in white craft ink and then embossed it with clear embossing powder.

 Here's the side-by-side view of the velum technique His & Her Birthday cards.

All in all, I think I like all 4 of the cards.  Both techniques created unique effects.  The kaleidoscope technique takes longer due to the multiple inks required, but the end result can be amazing.  The colored velum cards are quicker to make but by no means any less impressive.

Thanks for stopping by and looking at my cards.  See you next time! 

1 comment:

  1. My daughter-in-law love the mothers day card and my 4 years old did not care for the money inside her BDay card but she love the beautiful card. Thank you. You have an amazing talent

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Tell me what you think!

Thanks for visiting.