Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mother's Day Cards - & A Happy Recipient

Hi There,

It's been super crazy lately and I never got a chance to post the Mother's Day cards that I made.

I had several that I needed - my mom, my grandmother, my sister, my step-mother,  our day care provider who has taken care of all of my three kids for the last 16 years!  I also had a co-worker ask to buy some Mother's Day cards.  So, I made two basic styles of cards.


For this card I used Melanie Muenchinger's A Year of Flowers 2 stamp set from Gina K Designs.  The sentiment is from Gina K Designs, Kindred Greetings for Her.

The card stock is SU Gumball Green and Wisteria Wonder for the bases, black for the layer and Neenah White 80lb layering cardstock for the image layer.  The inks are SU Gumball Green, Rose Red, Daffodil Delight and Gina K's new Black Onyx Color Companions Ink.  The ribbon was some scraps that I had laying around.

These were quick, easy cards.  I really like the sketchy style of Melanie's set.  It coordinates with so many of her other sets.  I am a real fan of Melanie's stamp sets - I think I have almost all of them!

I didn't want to send the exact same card to everyone that I needed to give a card to, so there had to be another style.  This time I chose Rebecca OehlersBold Blooms set, which is also by Gina K Designs.  

I made eight of these cards - two of each color!  The colors I used are Pretty in Pink, Wisteria Wonder, Tangerine Tango and So Saffron.  The card bases are Neenah Solar White 110lb base weight card stock.  The ribbon was in my "stash" so I'm not quite sure where it was from! 

The blossom, leaves and sentiment were all stamped in Versamark ink and then embossed with white embossing powder.  Since the flowers were already colored due to the colored card stock I could have stopped there.  But, I wanted to make the flowers pop a bit more.  So, I took the matching Stampin Up Marker and just traced the outline of the white embossing on each of the flower petals.  Yes, it was a little time consuming, but it didn't have to be too exact!*  I just think it made the flowers have more dimension.

*As an engineer, sometimes its actually hard to let things be "not too exact"!   :)

I wrote out and mailed the cards that I needed to send and then brought the rest in to work for Lily to choose from.  I wanted her to be able to have some choices!

She chose one of each style.  One was for her grand-daughters to give to their mother.  The other one made her cry - she said it reminded her of her own mother.  

This is a picture of Lily's daughter-in-law with the card she received from her daughters.  It's not often that I get to see the recipients of my cards, so this was nice!  I'm glad she liked it!

So, one of the benefits of it being such a crazy week last week is that I got to post the Happy Recipient photo that Lily sent to me!

And although it's late, I hope you all had a Happy Mother's Day.  See you soon!



1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you! Tell me what you think!

Thanks for visiting.